St. James’ Historic Graveyard Tours

September 21st, 2013 -
October 19th, 2013 -
November 2nd, 2013 -

History Comes Alive this Fall at the St. James’ Graveyard Tours The third season for the St. James’ Historic Graveyard Tours will begin September 21and be repeated on Saturdays through November 2. Tours last approximately one hour and will be held, rain or shine, every half hour starting at 7 pm, with the last tour at 8:30 pm. Tickets—$15 each, children under 12 free—should be purchased in advance from www.stjameshistoricgraveyardtours.com.

 


As in previous years, the tours will showcase six “residents” of the cemetery:
• Augustus T. Cowman (1814-1854), author, publisher, architect of St. James Church • Art "Rube" DeGroff (1879-1955), professional baseball player • Manning Livingston (1843-1863), lieutenant in the Third United States Artillery, a casualty of the Battle of Gettysburg • Margaret Lewis Morgan Norrie (1869-1927), suffragette • Susan Bard Purdy (1829-1860), daughter of the third rector of St. James and wife of the sixth • James Roosevelt (1828-1900), father of Franklin Delano Roosevelt Guests will be led by lantern light though the celebrated churchyard as professional actors and enthusiastic volunteers play the parts of these important yet little-known historic figures. Tours provide entertainment and education with insights into life—and death—from Hudson Valley’s past.


Space is limited, and tours often sell out, so advance registration is strongly recommended. The terrain can be difficult to navigate and is not wheelchair accessible. A special tour is being organized for those with special mobility needs on October 5; see www.stjameshistoricgraveyardtours.com for details. Ample parking is available adjacent to the graveyard at St. James’ Episcopal Church, 4526 Albany Post Road, Hyde Park, NY.
Contact stjamesevents.hydepark@gmail.com or phone 845-229-2820 for more information. And for regular updates, “like” us on Facebook: St. James’ Church Historical Graveyard Tours.

About St. James’ Episcopal Church: St. James’ celebrated its bicentennial in October 2011. The church is led by Rev. Chuck Kramer, Rector and serves the area with volunteer reading partners in the public schools, a community garden whose produce goes to a local food pantry and a shelter, public events at its Chapel on East Market Street, and religious life and education.

 

 

 

[website]