Music Industry Pauses For Day Of Reflection On ‘Blackout Tuesday’
- Much of the music industry is hitting the pause button today for a day of reflection on racism and inequality.
- It’s an initiatve called Black Tuesday, launched by Atlantic Records veterans Jamila Thomas and Brianna Agyemang with the hashtag #TheShowMustBePaused.
- Industry leaders are urged to “not conduct business as usual” and instead focus on ways to “protect and empower the black communities that have made them disproportionately wealthy”.
- Many major record labels including Capitol, Columbia, Epic, UMG, and Warner have pledged to take part, with many announcing donations to race-related charities and organizations.
- What’s the most effective way we can combat racism and inequality? Is a charitable contribution enough?